On 23 June, Thomas Randolph, the earl of Moray moved out of the woods by the church here with his schiltron of spearmen to confront the English cavalry led by Clifford and Beaumont. After brutal fighting at close quarters, Clifford’s cavalry faltered and were forced back. Some fled to Stirling Castle, some were killed or captured, while others retreated to join the rest of the English army. This defeat was a shocking blow to Edward II and his army.
St Ninian’s is now very much part of Stirling’s urban landscape. Little remains of the original kirk building today. Much of it was destroyed in an explosion in 1745 when the Jacobites were using the kirk as an ammunition store and a new church was built afterwards. The bell tower and one gable end are much older, and may date from the time of Bannockburn.