The New Park was by Scottish kings for hunting and had been enclosed by a pallisade wall since at least 1288. On 22 June, just before the battle, Bruce withdrew his army from the Torwood where they had been training, and reassembled in the New Park. Bruce may have used a stone with a hole in it known as the Borestone to raise his banner, a signal to the army of where he wanted them to gather up. This was where the fighting of 23 June is likely to have taken place, and was where Bruce and de Bohun had their famous encounter.
For at least three centuries, people have visited the site of the Borestone to commemorate the battle. A saltire still flies here to mark the spot, which is also overlooked by the famous statue of Robert the Bruce on his horse. The Visitor Centre is located nearby, where the remains of the Borestone can still be seen.