Learning Resources

For Teachers, Pupils, Parents and more

  • The Carse

    Watery trap

  • About

In 1314

The Carse was the name given to the low-lying peat bog which lay to the southwest of Stirling Castle.

Its peaty ground soaked up water from the nearby hills and higher grounds like a sponge and was dotted with deep pools, ditches and crumbling banks: difficult terrain for knights on horseback.

The Carse of Balquhiderock lies between the Pelstream Burn and the Bannock Burn, and this was where Edward’s army squeezed in to camp on the night of 23 June.

On the morning of 24 June they found themselves taken by surprise and trapped here by the advancing Scottish spearmen.  It is on this ground that most of the fighting is likely to have taken place.


The area of the Carse can still be walked through today and is largely farmland, split by a motorway and railway track. However, just walking in the area still gives a clear sense of how inhospitable and awkward it would have been for the English army.